TwiBite Headline Animator

Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Monkey Play at the El Rey in LA

When we heard that 100 Monkeys were going to wrap up their 45 city tour with several Southern California shows, we just couldn’t resist throwing all good judgment to the wind and making a long BookClub weekend out of it. Having unlimited wealth, no responsibilities in life, and a complete lack of priorities (only one part of this sentence is actually true), we decided to hit the road and become the 100 Monkeys version of Deadheads (but with daily showers).

The first of our four Monkey encounters was at the El Rey Theatre in LA, a fabulously renovated art deco theater from the 1930’s that makes you think old time Hollywood. The five of us (Twifixx, ZAnyMouse, Twi-daughters Nicole and Megan, and me) got spots in the center right up against the stage, the perfect location for maximum Monkey enjoyment. As always, it was a highly energetic show with the very enthusiastic crowd dancing and singing along the whole time. Every time I see the Monkeys perform, I’m convinced that it was the best show I’ve ever seen them do and this one was no exception. Jackson learned some mighty fine new moves during his travels these past few months and the band clicked together better than ever.

Yes, that really is a camera on Jackson’s hat. It took me awhile to notice the flashing red light and realize that we were being recorded every time he looked our way.





In honor of my good friend kiTT (who I’m convinced is the originator of Jared’s nickname “Mohawtie”) and thanks to a terrific suggestion from 17foreverLisa, we made neon green signs to try to get Jared to choose "Mohawtie" as the improv song. His sister was in the audience and he went with her title of "weightlifting snowman," but at least we made Jerad and Jackson laugh.





At the autograph table afterwards, Jerad told us that he would have picked our song title if his sister hadn't been there. I’m sure Jackson could have come up with some very interesting lyrics for that one! When Nicole gave them the Mohawtie sign to autograph, Jared drew a cute picture of a fish on it and then jokingly stuffed the page into his shirt. I'm not sure why he did that, but it was pretty funny and then Jackson acted like he was afraid to touch it. When Uncle Larry signed the page, he asked Ben J. what "Mohawtie" meant and Ben told him that it was because "Jerad has a mohawk and people think he's... we'll... you know.... hot" and then he looked really embarrassed from saying that. I thought it was such a generous and personal touch for the guys to stay after the show for an autograph line when it was so late and they were clearly exhausted.






We’ve seen 100 Monkeys perform quite a few times now and it’s hard to explain to people exactly what it is that keeps us coming back over and over again. I guess the best way I can put it is that it’s a chance to escape from real life for a bit with my two best friends (and future commune co-dwellers) and our wonderful daughters to dance and smile with a group of multi-talented guys who are very easy on the eyes and seem just as happy to be there performing for us as we are being there listening to them. What’s not to love?


And speaking of easy on the eyes... here's a favorite shot from one of the best magazine shoots EVER! I realize he's not a member of 100 Monkeys, but it just isn't right to leave him out of a TwiBite post.


TwiloveSue XOXO

P.S. Thank you to ZAnyMouse for naming my Monkey posts!

13 comments:

LuvsMeSumEdward said...

Great pictures Sue! Sounds like you guys had a great time. And I totally agree it's awesome that they take the time after the show to sign stuff for the fans ♥

Twired Jen said...

Those pictures are kick ass! I'm waiting for Sarah to upload hers, which she says aren't that good. Hmmm, not like we don't have enough....but can you ever really have enough 100 Monkeys? Nope, I think not.

I'm betting on an LA show in the next two mos before their European tour ;)

xo J

SidewalkCandy said...

Great pictures, Sue! Awesome post. I miss living in the Monkey bubble with you and Zany. (sigh)

Twifixx

17foreverlisa said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!

You know how happy I was for all of you getting to go to the shows and the Best Buy in-store...and jealous.

You also know that I totally understand why you go to see them as often as you do. Once was definitely not enough for me. I hope and pray they will be performing while we're in LA in November.

I was smiling and nodding when I read this: Every time I see the Monkeys perform, I’m convinced that it was the best show I’ve ever seen...

That's what you said in your emails after each show. LOLz

Great pictures. Great post. As always, thanks for sharing.

MWAH!

@ZAnyMouse - Fun post title :)

17foreverlisa said...

PS: Thank you for my bromance picture!

TwiloveSue said...

LuvsMeSumEdward - They really are a nice bunch of guys who care about their fans :) It was great seeing you again and I think I have some pictures you're going to love from the SD shows!

Jen - Nope, there's no such thing as having enough Monkeys :) I'm crossing my fingers for LA too!

Twifixx - Don't worry, we don't ever have to completely leave the Monkey Bubble!

Lisa - Hee, did I really say that after ever show? Well, I guess that's because it was true :) I'm hoping so hard that you get to see them when you're here in Nov!!! Just watching you watching them is going to be the most entertaining thing ever.

Dangrdafne said...

Wow great pictures.
I love that they appreciate the fans and that they know they are the reason they exist and get to do what they love every day.
I promise I will see them someday.

Honolulu Girl-Suz said...

Sue, what I love about your posts is your honesty. I like how you explained why you continue to see them live, it's truly a blessing that you have a close relationship with your daughter and are able to share these fun times with her. I'm hoping one day 100 Monkeys will make it out to Hawaii.

Anonymous said...

First I'm really glad to hear you 5have an unlimited supply of wealth.

I totally originated that name Mohawtie! And I'm completely psyched you guys used it..all the way on the West Coast!!! I loved all the mohawtie stories and the pictures you took are great. Jackson was having a great hair night. Can't wait to see the pics he took of you guys!

I think ben j. needs a nickname now. He is cute in his own right.

-kiTT

Anonymous said...

Just too cool for words. Amazing photos and amazing people.

Zanymouse said...

BEST MONKEY SHOW EVER!!! You got some great pictures Sue, and I love how you slipped in one of my all time fav's of Rob. Slurp. We have the most awesome bookclub field trips!

XXOO!

Zanymouse said...

@kiTT - You're right, Ben J does need a nickname. Let me clue you in to his personality: He's shy and quiet unless he's drumming or singing up front - then he's a wild man. He was terribly hung over on the last leg of this tour, and he wore the same pants for at least four days in a row.

TwiloveSue said...

DD - You WILL see them someday and you'll love it!

Suz - Thank you, that is such a nice thing for you to say. Nicole and I have always been close, but our Twilighty adventures these past 3 years have been nothing short of amazing and I wouldn't trade that time with her for anything.

kiTT - As our official nicknamer, I think you should be the one to come up with one for Ben J! We've been referring to him as Fake Ross (a la Friends). Maybe they'll use Jackson's hat footage for a Liquid Zoo Part Two DVD? I'm cringing already.

Mrs. P - Thanks, it was great fun! I did enjoy having your avi along, but I think I'd rather have the real Mrs. P next time.

Z - I still smile every time I look at these pictures! XOXOXOX